Buy Tyres Online and find the best deals!
Nitrogen Filled Tyres
Many motorists choose to fill their tyres with nitrogen rather than compressed air as it will maintain tyre pressure for longer, enhance fuel efficiency and reduces the risk of corrosion to the wheel or TPMS equipment.
Aircraft and racing cars have been using purified nitrogen to inflate tyres instead of compressed air for a long time as tyre pressure is reduced at a much slower rate, enabling better road holding and enhanced gripping capabilities.
The Benefits of Nitrogen Inflated Tyres
The compressed air used to inflate tyres is made up of 78% nitrogen, oxygen and water vapour. Pure nitrogen has larger particles and is drier than compressed air which provides the following benefits:
- Slower rate of pressure loss as the larger size of the particles cannot permeate the tyre casing as quickly
- Better road holding and grip as the tyre remains inflated to the correct pressure for longer
- Enhanced fuel efficiency due to the fact that the tyre will retain its pressure
- No corrosion inside the wheel as nitrogen is a dry gas whereas the water vapour in compressed air can cause corrosion to the wheel and parts of TPMS equipment
- Longer tyre life due to the fact that nitrogen filled tyres operate at a cooler temperature which helps to reduce friction
Switching to Nitrogen
At Merityre Specialists you can request to have new tyres inflated with nitrogen instead of compressed air. We also can fully deflate the tyres you are using and re-fill with nitrogen.
If you do choose to have your tyres filled with nitrogen you must bear in mind that all 4 tyres and your spare tyre must be changed at the same time and from this point, it is important that you only use nitrogen when topping your tyre pressures up.
Although tyre pressure is lost at a slower rate when filled with nitrogen, you will still need to regularly check your tyre pressure!
Merityre Specialists recommend that all 4 tyres and your spare tyre are refilled with nitrogen
We charge £1.80 per wheel for this service in our branches
Online tyre prices include nitrogen inflation
Subsequent tyre rechecks and nitrogen top-ups, if required, are free of charge
Alternatively, you can search for your new tyres by manufacturer. Take a look at the premium manufacturer tyres stocked at Merityre Specialists.